06 June 2009

Strictly for train fans

Chris and I have always liked travelling by train, but for me it's more than just "liking". There is something special about trains that no other form of transport can match. Here are some examples:

This is the real thing! A communist-era Hungarian locomotive preserved at the transport museum in Budapest.


Here's something else from the communist times: an interesting use for a Russian "Chaika" limousine.


I think I'd call this the "Darth Vader Train".


Here is a view from the Pannonia Express as it speeds through rural Romania on its 14-hour trip from Bucharest back to Budapest.


Back in Hungary, this is a preserved "forest railway", a former logging line in Lillafured.


Here, a local train trundles across the Lake Tisza Nature Reserve on the Great Plain.


Finally, this is our "Ellel East Regional Nations" team, plus families, boarding another "forest railway", this time at Szilvasvarad near the Slovakian border on our day out last week. Wonderful!

1 comment:

Rev David Heathcote said...

I'd love to know more about the Darf Vader train

Rev Dave Heathcote of Berkeley Vale Railway YK